Description of Regimental Colour (Flag) The regiment’s colour is a white colour with the Gordon arms in the centre (comprised of three
The original regiment was formed from men recruited in Strathavon, near Glenlivet in the Eastern Highlands (now Banffshire) in 1639, where the Strathavon men along with men from Deeside formed part of Colonel Donald Farquharson of Monaltrie’s Regiment. This formation ran away at the battle of Megray Hill, near Stonehaven and was subsequently re-raised in 1644. Monaltrie’s took part in the storming of Montrose, the battle of Fyvie and the capture of Inverary in the same year. After the death of the commanding officer Donald Farquharson in March 1645, the Strathavon men were drawn off to form their own regiment under one of Monaltrie’s officers, Colonel William Gordon of Minimore.
It appears that William Gordon was a minor laird from Minmore (Gaelic: Moine Mor – Big Moss = boggy ground, moorland) in Glenlivet, who as a staunch loyalist and catholic raised the Strathavon men on behalf of his chief, Lord Gordon. The regiment was initially armed with bows and firelock muskets, but appear to be more conventionally armed by the 1640’s. The regiment saw action at the battles of Fyvie, Auldearn, Alford and Kilsyth, and also with the Marquis of Huntly’s storming of Aberdeen in 1646.
If you want to speak to the regimental contact (for either recruitment or public relations matters), please contact
the following person: